07/14/2008 by Peter Helfenstein
Using 96 criteria Forrester evaluated 6 solutions and came to clear results:
- HP continues leading the functional testing market since it acquired Mercury Interactive in 2006.
- IBM has a very promising product roadmap and has expanded its support for packaged applications.
- Borland Software and Compuware reinforced their position with their respective users – Borland for the more technical testers, Compuware fot the less technical.
- Empirix‘ and Seapine Software’s offers are less-costly but also functionally less-capable mainly because of limited support for applications and technologies.
Overall Forrester observed functional testing solutions not only keeping up with new technologies but also improving functionality for manual testing, test management and test automation.
Forrester Research evaluated the the most recent available versions of the following functional testing offerings:
- Borland Software: SilkCentral Test Manager 2008, SilkTest 2008
- Compuware: Quality Manager 5.3.1, QADirector 5.3.1, TestPartner 6.1.0, File-AID C/S 4.1.0
- Empirix: e-Manager Enterprise 8.2, e-Tester 8.2
- HP: Quality Center 9.2, QuickTest Professional 9.5
- IBM: Rational Manual Tester 7.0.1, Rational Functional Tester 7.0.1, Rational ClearQuest 7.0.1
- SeaPine Software: TestTrack Studio 2008.1, QA Wizard 2007.3