06/20/2008 by Dieter Steiger
- Comprehensive support of all steps of the development cycle
The methods and supporting tools used for the entire development cycle from the user to the various IT areas and back to the user are clearly defined. This covers the processes of development for the specific development projects (new and changing functions) as well as for of the projects initiated by the business (problem solving)
- Control of the development processes
The development process is formalized and digitized. A process engine drives and controls the development cycle. Tools are directly integrated into the process, process steps are possibly automated and consistency-ensuring measures in the process are defined and applied.
- Integration of lifecycle data
All information about configuration of the objects, including documentation and interdependencies, as well as about processes and development steps are integrated as far as possible and stored. At any time, these data will be available as templates to be accessed during the next development steps, or they will be used for impact analysis.
This implies that each development step of a component highly benefits from the information about the system and the development process. Experience and system information can be re-used and expert knowledge about the system complexity is available and can greatly help to assess the situation right from the start.
Possible results achieved with Lifecycle Management
The following list, though not final, shows what can be expected from and achieved by the consistent implementation of a Lifecycle Environment and proves that the possible results justify the effort:
- The new process management enables parallel change requests by projects (new and changing functions) and business (problem solving) to be executed.
- Consistency-ensuring measures are integrated into the processes.
- The Change & Configuration Management can be developed stepwise, at first for an individual application and afterwards for the complete application portfolio.
- Duplication in the processes is detected and eliminated.
- Less dependency on the know-how of experts who are familiar with a particular application and on integration specialists.
- Finally, there is no change without a change request.
- At any time, online impact analyses can be carried out. All interdependencies of logical and technical objects are visualized.
- Estimate of costs for projects and changes are given a conclusive basis. Transparency of costs in portfolio management is increased.
- A common basis of communication is created and utilized for business and IT.
- New implementations are less error-prone.
- The resource requirements for each process, application, service and system are calculable.
- Compliance rules can easily be followed by defined, digitized processes and transparency of dependencies. A massively improved transparency is achieved as all process information is displayed on the touch of a button.
- Application Lifecycle Management can be fruitfully integrated into the daily work of users.